Leon Köhler (Nebulus Racing by Huber) celebrates a perfect end to the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland season: The German scored his second win of the season on Sunday at the Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg. “The start was a bit turbulent and I managed to benefit from that. I was determined to win another race. The fact that it happened on home turf was of course fantastic,” said Köhler, who lives in the town of Kleinwallstadt not far from the racetrack. Second place at race 16 of the season went to Saturday’s winner and newly crowned champion Larry ten Voorde (Netherlands/Team GP Elite), followed by Bastian Buus (Denmark/Allied-Racing) in third. At the season finale, the last remaining title decision was made: Loek Hartog (Netherlands/Black Falcon Team Textar) won the rookie class of the 2021 season. A total of 29 drivers tackled the event run as support to the ADAC GT Masters in their 510 PS Porsche 911 GT3 Cup racers.
Köhler laid the foundation for his victory immediately at the start. Polesetter ten Voorde, Morris Schuring (Netherlands/Team GP Elite) and Laurin Heinrich (Germany/Van Berghe Huber Racing) sprinted to the first corner wheel-to-wheel, where Köhler promptly overtook the trio on the inside line. The Huber driver then pulled clear of the pack and maintained his commanding lead to the flag. Ten Voorde followed him over the finish line after battling against rookie Schuring. “My start wasn’t great and then I got caught between two other cars. Still, I quickly found my rhythm and when Morris Schuring made a mistake, I grabbed my chance,” said ten Voorde.
Buus also managed to overtake Schuring and clinched his second podium finish in the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland. In the overall ranking of the rookie class, the 18-year-old was only narrowly defeated by Loek Hartog. “I have mixed feelings about this race. On the one hand, third place is a great result, but I really wanted to win the rookie title. All in all, it was a fantastic debut season for me,” concluded Buus. Fourth place went to 16-year-old Schuring ahead of Jukka Honkavuori (Finland/MRS GT-Racing) and Christopher Zöchling (Austria/Fach Auto Tech).
Repeating his result from Saturday, Porsche Junior Ayhancan Güven (Turkey/Phoenix Racing) achieved seventh place. “To be honest, this weekend was complicated for me. We somehow couldn’t find the right setup. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to put Larry ten Voorde under any real pressure in the fight for the title. Still, second place in my first Carrera Cup season is a good result,” said Güven. The 23-year-old was followed over the line by the two Dutchmen Rudy van Buren (CarTech Motorsport by Nigrin) and guest driver Huub van Eijndhoven (JW Raceservice). Hartog rounded off the top ten, which was enough for him to secure the rookie title. “Last season I won the Porsche Carrera Cup Benelux, this year I’m the best rookie in the German Carrera Cup. That’s a great feeling. Bastian Buus proved to be a tough opponent and it was gripping to the last lap,” stated Hartog.
In the ProAm class, Carlos Rivas (Black Falcon Team Textar) celebrated a fitting end to a successful season: After winning the ProAm title on Saturday, on Sunday the Luxembourger scored his eleventh class victory this year. On the 4.574-kilometre racetrack near Mannheim, Georgi Donchev (Bulgaria/Nebulus Racing by Huber) and Kim Hauschild (Germany/HRT Motorsport) claimed the other two ProAm podium steps.
“That was a spectacular conclusion to an exciting season. This is mostly thanks to the drivers and teams, who demonstrated huge commitment at all race weekends and who treated us to action-packed racing in the 32nd season of the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland,” said Hurui Issak. The Project Manager of the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland presented the winners’ trophies on Sunday with Michael Dreiser, Director Sales Porsche Motorsport.
In the final rankings of the 2021 Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland, ten Voorde took first place (326 points) ahead of Güven (275 points) and Köhler (222 points). ProAm class honours went to Rivas (350 points). Hartog earned 301 points as the best rookie. The GP Elite squad won the team classification with 461 points.
Result race 16, Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland
1. Leon Köhler (Germany/Nebulus Racing by Huber)
2. Larry ten Voorde (Netherlands/Team GP Elite)
3. Bastian Buus (Denmark/Allied-Racing)
4. Morris Schuring (Netherlands/Team GP Elite)
5. Jukka Honkavuori (Finland/MRS GT-Racing)
6. Christopher Zöchling (Austria/Fach Auto Tech)
7. Ayhancan Güven (Turkey/Phoenix Racing)
8. Rudy van Buren (Netherlands/CarTech Motorsport by Nigrin)
9. Huub van Eijndhoven (Netherlands/JW Raceservice)
10. Loek Hartog (Netherlands/Black Falcon Team Textar)
Points standings after 16 of 16 races
1. Larry ten Voorde (Netherlands/Team GP Elite), 326 points
2. Ayhancan Güven (Turkey/Phoenix Racing), 275 points
3. Leon Köhler (Germany/Nebulus Racing by Huber), 222 points
1. Loek Hartog (Netherlands/Black Falcon Team Textar), 301 points
2. Bastian Buus (Denmark/Allied-Racing), 298 points
3. Morris Schuring (Netherlands/Team GP Elite), 265 points
1. Carlos Rivas (Luxembourg/Black Falcon Team Textar), 350 points
2. Kim Hauschild (Germany/HRT Motorsport), 301 points
3. Georgi Donchev (Bulgaria/Nebulus Racing by Huber), 222 points
1. Team GP Elite, 461 points
2. Phoenix Racing, 275 points
3. Nebulus Racing by Huber, 230 points