Porsche Carrera Cup North America Presented by the Cayman Islands recognizes the successes of its season at tonight’s Celebration of Champions. Each of the three drivers’ championships: Pro, Pro-Am and Am came down to the final 40-minute race of the premier Porsche one-make race series on Friday, September 30 at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta. Tonight, the fruits of a 16-race labor for 48 drivers and 19 teams as well as series officials and partners were acknowledged by Porsche Motorsport North America (PMNA).
Pro class. Parker Thompson (Canadian-native living in Indianapolis Indiana)
No. 9 JDX Racing Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
Pro-Am class. Alan Metni (Austin, Texas)
No. 99 Kelly Moss Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
Am class. Mark Kvamme (Columbus, Ohio)
No. 43 MDK Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
Kelly Moss, Andy Kilcoyne and Victoria Thomas, owners
For the second year, the top award for the champions in each of the series’ three class (Pro, Pro-Am and Am) remains a trip for two to the five-star Kimpton Seafire Resort + Spa in the Cayman Islands. The four-night stay in the five-star resort includes airfare, and transportation, a visit to the iconic Stingray City and a culinary experience in one of the esteemed restaurants in the Grand Cayman.
Additionally, PMNA will provide a full-season entry fee for the champion of each class to use for the 2023 Carrera Cup season. TAG Heuer, who joined as a full-season partner in the championship’s inaugural season in 2021, increases its support of the Porsche Motorsport Pyramid race series by celebrating the top-three in each class with a timepiece recognizing the achievement as well as the top pole winner in each class. In addition to the annual Porsche Night of Champions in Stuttgart, Germany, each class title-winner will earn a trip to the Porsche Ice Force Pro Experience in Canada.
The Al Holbert Cup.
The Al Holbert Cup was created in recognition of Holbert’s commitment, inspiration and leadership in the formation and organization of Porsche motorsports in North America. The silver cup carrying his name is crafted as a timeless and traditional trophy to commemorate each Pro class champion of the Porsche Carrera Cup North America starting with last year’s inaugural champion, Seb Priaulx. The Al Holbert Cup is engraved each year with the champion’s name and year of the championship. The original cup is on display at PMNA headquarters in Carson, California. A replica trophy is presented to the champion as their tangible reminder of their milestone season. This award recognizes the true racing spirit of Al Holbert conveying his professional driver’s skill, engineer’s precision and a gentleman racer’s passion. A true link between the past, present and future of Porsche.
Making the award even more poignant, its awarding comes on the same day the affable leader was killed in a small aircraft accident in 1988, 34 years ago, Friday.
Class Driver Awards. *
- Al Holbert Cup to the overall, Pro class champion. Pro-Am and Am classes receive only a class championship trophy.
- 2023 Porsche Carrera Cup North America Presented by the Cayman Islands season entry.
- Trip to the Porsche Night of Champions in Stuttgart, Germany to celebrate Porsche motorsport champions from around the world. Including tours of the Porsche factory tour, Porsche Museum and Motorsport headquarters at Weissach.
- Four-night Cayman Islands stay at Kimpton Seafire Resort + Spa.
- TAG Heuer watch presented to the top-three finishers.
- Porsche Ice Force Pro Experience in Canada including travel and accommodations.
Junior Championship Awards. Kay van Berlo
Kay van Berlo has won the Junior Championship for the driver (26-years or younger racing in the Pro class) who earns this title will earn the opportunity to compete in the Porsche Junior Global Shootout. Thompson earns:
- All flights and accommodations will be included as this driver competes against champions from around the world.
- Trip to the Porsche Night of Champions in Stuttgart, Germany.
- $40,000 USD financial support provided for a test day prior to the Porsche Junior Global Shootout to gain experience in a non-ABS Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car as will be run at the Shootout. Porsche Driver Jaxon Evans will provide expertise coaching during the test.
Michelin Race Wins Award. Mark Kvamme
Presented to Mark Kvamme as the driver, regardless of class, who has scored the most victories across the entire season. With today’s victory, Kvamme earned ten race wins in 16 starts. He was one victory ahead of Efrin Castro who, with both race wins at the finale, moved to nine victories.
- Michelin Guide Champion Experience including attendance for two to a 2023 Michelin Star Reveal Gala event in North America. Includes airfare, hotel and dinner at a Michelin Star restaurant.
Entrant Championship Awards. Kelly Moss
With eight Pro class, or half, the season victories Kelly Moss owners Andy Kilcoyne and Victoria Thomas carry home the Madison, Wisconsin-based team’s second Entrants championship.
- The organization that wins the season-long Team Championship will receive a three-night Cayman Islands stay at Kimpton Seafire Resort + Spa.
- Team champions in each class will receive three sets of Michelin passenger car or light truck tires.
Pole Award. Kay van Berlo
By accumulating the seven pole positions in the Pro class over the course of the season, the Pro class championship runner-up, Kay van Berlo (native of the Netherlands studying in Miami, Florida) will earn a TAG Heuer watch.
To the Point. Pro Class.
Parker Thompson… 306
Kay van Berlo… 290
Riley Dickinson… 264
Trenton Estep… 247
T.J. Fischer… 125
To the Point. Pro-Am Class.
Alan Metni… 289
Efrin Castro… 288
Marco Cirone… 210
Curt Swearingin… 200
Matt Halcome… 160
To the Point Am Class.
Mark Kvamme… 317
John Goetz… 298
Bill Smith… 245
Grady Willingham… 149
Joseph Lombardo… 108
Kelly Moss… 340
JDX Racing… 307
MDK Motorsports… 286
Topps Racing… 199
311RS Motorsport… 163
* This is a summary of awards as outlined and provided to entrants by Porsche Motorsport North America. More details are available to official entrants by contacting PMNA.
No comments yet.